X-rays show young girl who became ‘real-life piggy bank’ after swallowing coins

A young girl turned herself into a ‘real-life piggy bank’ after swallowing a coin which stayed inside her for more than a year.

Paige Dowling is just four-years-old and has a habit of putting things that she shouldn’t in her mouth, and was recently given a £1 coin by her great gran.

She instantly swallowed it, and her alarmed parents called the hospital before rushing her in for an X-ray – but there were more surprises to come yet.

The X-ray showed that Paige was a walking, talking piggy bank, with two coins piled on top of each other in her throat, and the doctors said it looked like she had swallowed the earlier coin over a year ago.

Kelly, who is also mum to Bentley, 10, and six-year-old Mya, is urging parents to always seek medical help if their child swallows something they shouldn’t, even if they’re not choking.

Kelly, from Bath, Somerset, said: “When I found out Paige had swallowed two coins and turned herself into a little money box I couldn’t believe it.

“It was only because we noticed she’d swallowed the pound coin that doctors noticed the penny had sliced through her oesophagus.

“The trouble was the penny had been in there so long the oesophagus had grown around it so that’s what took the time.

“She had a three-hour surgery to take it out as they wanted to get it out without cutting her oesophagus even more.

“They reckon it had been in there for over a year, it’s crazy.”

Kelly, 31, said she popped to visit her nan on June 25, 2019, along with warehouse worker husband Jayson, 36, and the three children.

The doting great gran gave each of the children a £1 to treat themselves with.

Instead of pocketing the cash, little Paige for some reason decided to swallow it, sparking the rush to Royal United Hospital’s A&E department in Bath.

Kelly said: “We went to my nan’s, she always gives them a £1 and it was that £1 Paige swallowed.

“My husband was in the room with her while I was in the kitchen and he called me through saying he thought she’d swallowed it.

“I looked around the living room trying to find it and hoped she’d pass it but I rang 111 too to be sure.

“They advised us to go to hospital and there they put a metal detector on her.

“We were told if it was in the top half she would need an x-ray and if it was down in the bottom half she could go home where she would pass it.

“When they scanned her the alarm went off near her throat, I was so worried.

“I just thought it would have gone to her bottom half and she could pass it but panic stations set in then.

“On the x-ray they could see the pound coin was a couple of centimetres down her throat and then they saw a second object.”

Now, 23 months on, Paige has regular check-ups and needs two of her back teeth surgically removing due to the corrosion the penny caused.